Acupuncture and Herbs for Calf Pain and Swelling
Chief Complaint: calf pain and swelling
Western Diagnosis: phlebitis
1.Recurrent phlebitis on left calf-had same exact symptom seven years ago. He took Chinese herbal medicine and the symptoms were completely gone. It took 6 weeks to cure it.
3. lost his right leg on auto accident
4. doesn’t drink alcohol but drinks a lot of water
5. He delivers auto parts-driving 8 hours per day. He used to work at a post office where he had to stand for 8 hours per day, again
6. His blood pressure and pulse rate is normal.
1. pain at left calf, hot sensation. Unable to relieve pain with anything. Pain at the sole of left foot.
2.Sweats a lot on warm day
3.thirst for cold water. only drinks cold water
Pulse exam: Pulse:
Left: wiry,slippery, strong
Pulse rate: normal
Tongue exam: Red body
Yellow greasy coating
Left leg is swollen, hot and red
OM Diagnosis: Pain syndrome caused by dampheat.
Patient has greasy, yellow coating with red tongue which indicates dampheat
Patient drinks cold water only-heat
Patient feels burning pain on his calf and toes
Treatment Principle: drain damp
move blood to relieve pain
Point Prescription: Patient refused acupuncture treatment. However, points that I would have used are SP9, GB34, LI4, LI11, Ba feng, ST 36. Liver2 and Liver3-all sedating method
Herbal Formula: I used concentrated granules 5:1
Si Miao San+ Huo Xue Zhi Tong Tang
add:Dilong 3g, Yinchen 2g, Xiangfu 2g, Yujin 2g, Chaihu 2g
7days, 3x/day, 4g each
Lifestyle Prescription: auricular points for Shenmen, toes, knees bilaterally
Results: Patient was fully recovered after one week. Pain was completely gone, slight redness around the ankle. Patient was able to walk without cane.